So, due to some kind of technical snafu, my previous domain name (frayed-threads.com) was lost; fortunately, all of my content still exists and can be perused at this new address. I felt like it was time for a name change anyway - sometimes the Universe has a way of pushing you to do the things you're too afraid/lazy to do on your own. That being said, welcome to Mommy & Kumquat's first official post; instead of giving you some existential inaugural post crap, I'm going to dive right into the awesomeness that was Friday night's VOX Magazine launch party.
For those of you who aren't yet familiar with Megan Beckham's stunning creation, VOX is a Utah-based fashion magazine, designed to give voice to the stylish here in the Beehive State. Friday night, a launch party was held at the Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City to celebrate the publication of the first issue and it was pure fabulousness. I hooked up with my good blogger friend Rebecca of Salt City Style to do some serious sartorial people watching in between hitting the open bar and being mesmerized by the runway show that featured some wildly talented local designers. My first night out post-baby (and my first real liquor in a year) taught me some valuable lessons about myself and Utah's style.
7) Steve Madden heels are some of the loveliest torture devices I've ever put on my feet.
I ended up walking to my car barefoot in the rain - but it was so worth it. #damnyoustevemadden
|dress :: altuzzara for target // heels :: steve madden // earrings :: cake boutique (macy's) // bracelets :: vintage (right), macy's (left) // necklace :: maurice's // clutch :: bebe // belt :: rue 21 // new glasses :: coach|
6) When formal wear is requested at a Utah party, you can expect to see everything from jeans and sneaks to a ball gown and tiara.
5) People style watching is way more fun when hanging out with like-minded peeps with color commentary as opposed to hiding in the corner alone.
|Rebecca of SaltCityStyle.com|
4) Utah is chock full not only of talented local designers, but also some stellar home-grown bands.
Locally awesome duo Oh Be Clever rocked the house while Utah designers' gorgeous creations strutted down the runway (and a special shout out here to my dear friends The Damn Handsomes, who also kicked some serious musical ass at The Metro Friday night).
3) There is (almost) no bad day that an awesome pair of heels, a ton of mascara and a shot of Five Wives Vodka can't fix.
The last few weeks have been rough, and Friday night was a much needed escape; it reminded me of how vital it is to have a life outside of parenthood.
2) Also... it helps when a dashing stranger says you look "stunning."
1) Utah has a LOT to look forward in VOX Magazine.
The premiere issue was absolutely stunning and promises to shine a well deserved spotlight on Utah's fashion and culture.
Check out this Facebook gallery for more photos from the event - make sure to tag yourself and your friends if you were there!
Photos by Jennifer Booth of MommyandKumquat.com and Rebecca Hansen of SaltCityStyle.com